it is summer, we are loving the hot sunny long days. If you are still looking for an easy colour to take you through to autum here is some inspiration for you. Experiment with colour, take hints from nature: radiant as the sun, warm as a long summer sunset. And don’t forget to look after your hair as you look after your skin. Always apply heat and UV protector spray if you are spending the day in the sun, to avoid your hair becoming too dry and straw-like. Use an enriching mask instead of your normal conditioner to give your hair extra boost and protection from the strong sun rays. Enjoy summer you absolutely fabulous people!
In the attempt of saving a few $$$, but still wanting a change of hair colour, some opt for the home dye kit purchased at the chemist or at the supermarket. Nothing wrong with the thought. And that is how it starts.
Usually, however, it ends with TEARS and a big woolly hat and a trip to your trusted hairdressers salon, begging your stylist to perform a miracle and salvage the salvageable and try and give you that WOW factor that you were after in the first place.
Yes, it has happened _TWICE_ this week, same scene as above, including the tears and the woolly hat.
Under the hat, well, something had gone horribly wrong. Straw-like hair half orange and half white with some bright yellow patches. Oh dear… But luckily our expert stylists were able to use their knowledge and a bit of a magic touch and recreate something beautiful.
The reasons why home dye kits do not work that well are several.
- Using bleach on your own hair is very difficult because bleach is rather unstable, it is very hard to control and therefore it can easily over-lighten or under-lighten your hair, often _both_ at the same time. You will end up with light and bright roots and dark orange tinged ends and hair the texture of … straw.
- Home hair bleaching kits do not have toners with them. Toners are required to even out the lightening effect on your hair to finish your colour and to avoid the raw look. Colour changes done at the salon are much more subtle and great effects can be achieved by using foils and utilising two or three different colours. Our hair colour is naturally formed by several colours together (for example, a blond will have ash, as well as gold, toffee, honey and at times red in it). Bleaching at home is very rarely subtle and the overall result is that of one uniform colour which will give the most undesired WIG effect, often resulting in a more expensive trip to the hair salon for colour correction work and a hair repair treatment!
- Changing your hair from blonde to brunette is not that easy either. Even without using bleach, the home dye kits usually only have one colour and give an overall uniform effect (see the WIG effect above!). When you apply colour on your own hair it is hard to distribute it evenly and you will end up with patches of colour and over colouring, where you obtain a very dull result (no brilliance in the colour) due to colour build up.
- Not all hair types react to colour in the same way. It takes an expert to determine whether your colour should stay in your hair for 40 minutes or 1 hour safely and to get the results desired. Whilst it is tempting to buy a home dye kit and do your hair, wrap it up in a towel and carry on doing your chores, it does not necessarily follow that if you leave the colour in longer, your hair will get darker… You may in fact end up with strange looking hair that feels like chewing gum…
- Let not even discuss stains on the bathroom tyles, or on your towels, or your clothes, or your skin!
Leave it to the experts, who will ensure total coverage of grays, brilliant colour, natural looking hair and will be able to offer their advice on the appropriate hair treatment for your type of hair.
What you CAN do to make your colour last longer is to use a colour saver shampoo (for example Wella SP Colour Saver) and utilise a colour saver mask instead of the conditioner. Your hair will feel silky and look healthy and shiny and your colour will last a good three to four weeks longer.
Here is some hair advice that you can trust. Let the expert stylists of Absolutely Fabulous Hair pamper you and give you that WOW look that you want.
Not ready to let go of your summer locks?
Do you want to keep that “beach” hair throughout winter? Help is in hand with the new trendy technique of dip-dye with new hair styles to take you to winter with glamour.
Check out this link for Glamour Magazine which give true inspiration when it comes to hair styles. Here are the latest A-list hair trends. Your hair too can look just as Absolutely Fabulous as theirs. Come to our salon our team of expert stylists will make you look and feel like A-list celebrity!
There is nothing quite like having a Fabulous Hair day ! The stars are in perfect alignment, the sun is shining, fresh snow glistening on the mountains, crips winter breeze blowing gently through your shiny locks and there is absolutely no humidity!
So, whether your style is short, long, pink, blue, bleached, streaked, straight or curly – may you have an Absolutely Fabulous Hair today!
Here is the link to Glamour Magazine – this fabulous article on the latest hair colour trends for this winter is truly inspirational. Give yourself and your hair a new fantastic look just by adding a touch of colour. Or indeed maintaining colour!
Be sure to visit our salon in Queenstown and let our expert stylist give a complimentary consultation on what colour suits you and your hair and award yourself with a brand new beautiful hair! Have fun